If you're considering undertaking a hair transplant or hair restoration procedure, it's important that you understand the terms are being used.
Dr. Koher will be happy to sit down with you and discuss your needs and expectaions as they relate to the hair transplant procedure.
- ALOPECIA: The commonly used medical term referring to baldness
- ANDROGENIC ALOPECIA: The most common balding pattern, typically a hormonal problem that is passed along a bloodline
- ALOPECIA REDUCTION: The procedure whereby a strip of the balding upper scalp in the crown area is removed, then the flexible scalp surrounding the removed strip is stretched into place to cover the removed area.
- CROWN AREA: The area containing a swirl pattern of hair growth at the top/back of the head.
- DONOR AREA: The area at the back of the head and above the ears where the follicles of hair remain intact and grow throughout life.
- DONOR DOMINANCE: The theory which states that hair follicles harvested from the donor area will grow in the recipient area after transplantation.
- FEMALE PATTERN BALDNESS: The thinning of the hair behind the hairline at the front of the scalp. This is a hereditary condition, also know as "Female Hereditary Hair Thinning."
- FOLLICULAR UNIT: The grouping of one, two, or three hair follicles which are founds in the skin.
- FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION (FUE or FOX): The process of extracting follicular units for transplantation.
- FOLLICULAR UNIT GRAFT: The method of implanting a single follicular unit. Using this method, with careful planning, hair transplantation can yield virtually undetectable results.
- FOLLICULAR UNIT MICROGRAFTING: The process of harvesting a large number of follicular units, the strip is then dissected into single follicular units.
- GRAFTING: The process where skin which bears hair is removed, then transplanted to balding or thinning areas.
- HAIR FOLLICLE: The strand of hair and root which is removed from the dsonor area and transplanted during hair restoration surgery to the recipient (balding) area.
- HAIR GRAFTS: Hair follicles which have been removed from the donor area for transplantation to the recipient area.
- (more glossary on Page 2)